Name:

Notes, observations, reflections,and memories.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Lie after lie after lie after lie....

So for those of you that were lazy and didn't read the gigantuous five posts before this one, I am doing a project trying to disprove the Population Based Cancer Registry's claim that it goes to these 64 hospitals in Bhopal and Indore and collects cancer data from them either daily, weekly, monthly, or 'as and when required'. The lack of existence of any sort of system in the hospitals I've visited so far makes it really easy to disprove the PBCR. I've gone to Jawahar Lal Nehru Hospital and Ayushman Hospital, and in both they claim that they themselves don't record the number of cancer patients they get, or even the number of cancer patients that they diagnose. In fact, they refer patients to the cancer hospitals, but they don't even record the number of patients they refer. Big surprise? I think not. Logically, I conclude that if the hospital itself doesn't have a record of cancer information, then how is the PBCR saying they collect cancer data from these hospitals? Yea, I know. These people are pretty good at lying.

Other than work, there have been other things that have been keeping me busy, like sewing. For some reason, the white salwar that I wear oh-so-often seems to enjoy opening at the seams, and that too very subtly. It's not until I was sitting cross legged on my bed, enjoying the freedoms of eating Haldiram's namkeen one fine evening, that I noticed this gaping hole in my salwar near my shin. And of course, as any logical-minded human being would do, I got out the thread and needle that had been conveniently provided for us and started sewing. I've had to do it twice now, and noticed an opening in a third area which should be closed...I'm guessing it's from washing the clothes so often. But washing them with biodegradable soap is kind of fun - makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) The smell isn't the greatest, but hey, they turn out clean. What more could I want?

I'm beginning to venture out by myself more nowadays. It's usually during the day and involves menial tasks, like going to the chemist's to get some cream for the mild infection my recently pierced nose decided to accept without consulting me. One of the girls that work in the computer department suggested getting this thing called "eye tubes" which is a cream you put in your eyes, but I would be putting it on my nose. Interesting, no? It's actually working quite well, and I got 4 of these tubes for Rs. 1. Nose rings can be quite uncomfortable at times, I haven't gotten to having a loop moving around in my nostril yet.

And the food, oh the food! I love the food here, probably more than the people, though the people are wonderful as well. I guess that makes me a bad person, but that's ok- I really like the food :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe...food is the best thing!! aaah salwaar, namkeen, cheap but awesome remedies! its all good.

And I really wonder what you are gonna do abt PBCR, with all the non-existant data.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha reminded me of my stitching woes. I being elder, would stitch up the pillows after we cousins had our regular 'mother of all pillow fights'. Things were going ok, till my grandmother couldnt supress her heaqrtbroken dismay at how much her stitching had deteriorated.

keep writing

9:59 PM  
Blogger Confluencer said...

4 tubes for Re 1? That just freaks me out - cheap ass medicine is best left alone. Its your skin for gods sake, why risk it.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home